|the condition of being abnormally dependent on some habit, espcompulsive dependency on narcotic drugs|
- 6 red potatoes, peeled, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1 shallot, finely minced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 3 cardamom pods, husks removed and seeds pulverized
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 bone-in chicken breasts with skin
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
In the bottom of a foil-lined broiler pan, toss the potato slices with a generous drizzle of olive oil and some salt and pepper, to taste.
In a small bowl, stir together the butter, shallots, garlic, cardamom, orange zest, orange juice, turmeric, garam masala and salt and pepper, to taste. Separate the skin from chicken flesh using your index finger, moving it back and forth. Do not remove the skin completely, just make a pocket. Spoon half of the butter mixture under skin of 1 breast, smoothing it out with your index finger. Repeat with other chicken breast.
Put a rack over the potatoes in the broiler pan and arrange the chicken on the rack. Roast until the chicken registers 160 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer, and the potatoes are tender. Remove from the oven and transfer the chicken and potatoes to a serving platter. Allow to rest for 5 minutes then serve.