With my 3.5mth old twin niece and nephew's baptisms right around the corner, the looming question of "Do we order a cake, bake a cake or go with cupcakes" became the focus of a conversation with my sister in law yesterday. So I decided to search out a great recipe that wasn't too "girlie" or too "boyish" but still had a fun summer flare to it. What did I find??
Margarita Cupcakes with Key Lime Frosting...
And WOW doesn't quite describe it!!! Now understand that my husband do not like baked goods. (I know, sad for him.) But he not only LOVED these, we went back for seconds. They are sweet with a lovely tart after taste, just like a Key Lime Pie!
I'm not here to review recipes, I'm here to share and create. So, grab your pencils....
· 1 package (18.25 oz. white cake mix (no pudding in the mix)
· 1 can (10 oz.) frozen Margarita mix, thawed (undiluted)
· 3 egg whites
· 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
· 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
Yield: Makes 24 cupcakes.
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Line standard muffin pan with baking cups.
2. In large bowl, combine cake mix, Margarita mix, egg whites and vegetable oil using electric mixer.
3. Stir in lime zest; mix completely.
4. Fill prepared pans 2/3 full.
5. Bake 22-24 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean.
6. Cool in pan on cooling rack 5-8 minutes.
7. Remove cupcakes from pan; cool completely.
8. Frost cooled cupcakes with icing and garnish, if desired, with a strawberry and/or lime twist,
Key Lime Cream Cheese Icing
· 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
· 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
· 2 tablespoons key lime juice
· 1 teaspoon key lime zest or lemon zest
· 4-5 cups confectioners' sugar
Yield: Makes about 3 cups icing.
1. In large bowl, cream butter, cream cheese, juice and zest with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Optional: Add some Wilton's Kelly Green food coloring.
2. Add 4 cups confectioners' sugar, one cup at a time; continue beating until light and fluffy.
3. If icing is too thin add additional confectioners' sugar 1 tablespoon at a time.